As a Harvard faculty or staff member, you enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in Massachusetts, as well as access to the unique cultural resources at one of the world's top universities.
Banking, Mortgage, Housing and Personal Insurance
Harvard's real estate and mortgage resources can help you with any housing need, from finding a roommate to securing the mortgage on your own home. You can also join the nonprofit, member-owned Harvard University Employees Credit Union, which offers a full range of banking services and loans.
Harvard University Employees Credit Union (HUECU) offers start-to-finish guidance in the home-buying process along with a full range of banking and credit services, including mortgages and home equity loans, credit cards, auto, vacation and educational loans, and IRAs.
The Real Estate Advantage Program provides individualized counseling for home-buyers and sellers, representation throughout the process, cash back on fees, and free home buying and selling seminars.
Harvard's offers preferred mortgage lender services through Mortgage Network, Inc. and Citizens Bank, with discounts for faculty and staff:
- Citizens Bank offers discounted mortgage interest rate and a $500 reduction in closing costs for all faculty and staff. The Harvard University Preferred Mortgage Team is managed by Daniel P. Heffernan, with 25+ years experience assisting Harvard employees. Contact: Daniel P. Heffernan, 617-994-7578, or Lisa Gill Sabey, 617-994-7549. Offices are located in downtown Boston.
- Mortgage Network, Inc. offers discounted pricing and dedicated local processing. The team is led by James Loughrey, who has 15+ years experience working with the Harvard community. Contact James Loughrey, 978-618-0224, or Joanne Petrie, 617-513-8356, for information.
Harvard University Housing manages rentals of University-owned properties. Their site also links to private-market listings.
Full-time employees who live in Massachusetts receive discounts on group home and auto insurance through MetLife or Liberty Mutual Insurance, including a 5 percent homeowner’s discount and a 10 percent discount on a homeowner’s policy if you insure both your auto and home. For a free, no-obligation quote or more information, visit the voluntary benefits site or call Mercer at 866-228-3516.
Employment and Income Verification: To verify your Harvard employment, please contact The Work Number, which handles employment verifications for Harvard. Note that income verifications are handled by Harvard Payroll, not The Work Number. Verifiers should fax your income verification request to Harvard Payroll at 617-496-3196. Income verification requests must include a release from the employee.
The most in-depth option, Hyatt Legal Plan, provides fully covered legal services from attorneys who specialize in estate planning, civil suits, adoption, identity theft, and more for you, your spouse/domestic partner and dependents. There are some excluded services, including employment-related matters, divorce, class action, and others; refer to Hyatt Legal Plan flyer for details. There are no copayments, claim forms or usage limits when using one of the 14,000 network attorneys. You may also use an out-of-network attorney and be reimbursed for covered services. If you want this coverage, you must elect it during your first 30 days of benefits eligibility or during the annual Open Enrollment period. Once enrolled, contact Hyatt Legal Plans at 800-821-6400 or visit https://members.legalplans.com/Home/ to use the service.
In addtion to Hyatt Legal, Harvard has two other options:
- Harvard Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Through the EAP, you and any member of your household can consult with a lawyer by phone, free of charge. If after the confidential consultation you wish to retain legal representation, the EAP can refer you to an attorney who provides services at a 25% discount. No enrollment is necessary.
- When you enroll in Supplemental Life Insurance, you and your spouse/domestic partner can access free will preparation (including living will and power of attorney) and estate resolution/probate services. To learn more, call 800-821-6400 and use group number 109929.
Identity Theft Protection
PrivacyArmor Plus from InfoArmor provides identity and credit monitoring, proactive alerts, and full-service restoration and insurance coverage of up to $1M if your identity is stolen. Coverage available at individual and family levels. If you enroll, you and covered family members must provide Social Security numbers to enable full security monitoring. You can learn more at www.MyPrivacyArmor.com or call 800-789-2720; also review FAQs about the coverage. If you want this coverage, you must elect it during your first 30 days of benefits eligibility or during the annual Open Enrollment period.
Computer and Wireless Discounts
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) offers special pricing through negotiated discounts on computers, software, wireless services and phones, and related accessories. Visit computers.harvard.edu.
Outings & Innings
Outings & Innings is an internal Harvard service for staff, faculty, retirees, students and some other Harvard affiliates that offers a dynamic menu of (1) date-specific tickets for a variety of performing arts and professional sports, (2) "anyday" tickets for movies, museums and seasonal attractions.
O&I also partners with cultural attractions and businesses to offer special Harvard University ID discounts. O&I provides significant savings on many offerings, access to high-demand events and no hefty transaction fees! A HarvardKey is required to set up a customer account and to receive O&I’s E-List of upcoming events and special offers.
Culture and Recreation
Harvard is home to a range of museums with amazing collections and cultural opportunities. A Harvard ID provides free admission for you and one guest in most cases.
- Harvard Art Museums
- Harvard Museum of Natural History – Home of the world-famous Glass Flowers
- Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
- Observatory Nights – Lectures and star gazing
- The Arnold Arboretum – Lilac Sunday, lectures, walks and more in Jamaica Plain
- The Semitic Museum
- The Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments
Harvard University Libraries – Books (new and historic), music and movie collections are part of the largest university collection in the world. Your Harvard ID is your library card.
Harvard Box Office – Full-service ticketing booth for hundreds of professional and student events on campus. Online and in the Smith Campus Center Arcade.
American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.) – A leading force in the American theater. Faculty and staff save $5 on tickets by presenting a Harvard ID at the A.R.T. box office