Child care is critical to working parents, and Harvard understands that finding the right fit for your family means considering numerous factors. You are encouraged to review the options below to see which one may best meet your needs.
On-Campus Child Care
Allston and Cambridge
Six child care centers operate on Harvard’s Cambridge and Allston campuses. Each center has its own characteristics and culture, so families are encouraged to familiarize themselves with information provided below.
To learn more about the on-campus child care centers:
- For information on application and enrollment processes, please be sure to read our FAQs
- Review the contact information and rates, along with information about covered age groups, hours and more
- View the centers on a map
- Attend an open house:
- Arrange a tour: Soldiers Field Park Children's Center doesn't hold an open house, but offers tours. Other centers may also offer tours by appointment.
Harvard Longwood Campus
Affiliates of Harvard Medical School, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine may have access to several Longwood Medical Area child care centers.
Off-Campus Group Child Care
High-quality, affordable child care is in high demand in the greater Boston area. The following resources are designed to make your search a little easier.
- If you are a benefits-eligible Harvard employee, you may use the free dependent-care resource and referral service available through Harvard’s Employee Assistance Program.
- To get a list of licensed family day care providers and group child care centers in your community, visit the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care.
Several nonprofit agencies are members of the Massachusetts Child Care Resource and Referral Network and can help you find child care:
- Child Care Choices of Boston serves Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea, Somerville, Revere, and Winthrop.
- Child Care Circuit serves several towns near Harvard’s campuses including Arlington, Belmont, Medford, Newton, and Watertown, as well as many others.
- Community Care for Kids serves Braintree, Cohasset, Dedham, Hull, Milton, Needham, Quincy, Randolph, Wellesley, Weston, and Weymouth.
In-home Child Care/Babysitters
- WATCH (Web Access to Care at Harvard): This portal connects you with Harvard students who want to babysit. Harvard faculty, staff, and students can also sponsor their high school and college-age children as babysitters. Your HUID and PIN are required for login.
Care@Work Digital Access: If you are a benefits-eligible Harvard employee, you have unlimited digital access to Care.com, a database of caregivers.
Note: Register before you need it! To use any service provided by Care@Work, Harvard faculty and staff must first complete and return a waiver. Once the Office of Work/Life receive this waiver, the employee's name is added to an automatic filed feed that goes to Care.com on a daily basis. Learn more about services available through Care.com. Once you are pre-registered and have submitted the waiver, visit Harvard’s Care@Work portal to register once using your Harvard email address.
Nanny Placement Services
For parents who would like the assistance of an agency-supported search and are seeking in-home care, Harvard has a preferred vendor agreement with the American Nanny Company to provide nanny-placement services for faculty and staff. American Nanny Company will interview your family to help craft a job description, conduct detailed searches, perform background checks and interviews, and provide families with applicant files until a match is made. For Harvard affiliates, American Nanny will:
- Discount the $100 application fee to $50; if you hire a nanny through American Nanny, the $50 fee will be applied toward your placement fee.
- Provide full-time nanny placement at the discounted fee of $2,900 and part-time placement at the discounted fee of $2,600.
- Provide a la carte services for a candidate you identify yourself at a 15% discount, including services like criminal and DMV background checks, full interviews with detailed employment and education history, reference checks and verification services, and more.
Learn more by visiting American Nanny Company or calling 617-244-5154.