Harvard’s campuses are conveniently served by extensive public transportation, and the University is proud that its financial support for a variety of transportation options helps keep our driving rate significantly below the national and state averages. You can learn more about commuting options for new employees here.
As a benefits-eligible Harvard employee you have access to:
- 50% Harvard subsidy for MBTA passes, including commuter rail and boats;
Pretax savings on the purchase of private transit passes and parking expenses related to commuting by MBTA, up to the IRS limit;
- You will need your HarvardKey in order to sign up for your 50% transit benefit through the easy online portal. Please allow 6-8 weeks from the start of employment for new enrollments to be processed. Payments are made through pre-tax payroll deduction. Please visit Harvard’s CommuterChoice Program or call 617-384-RIDE (7433) for more information about how to enroll or some advice on planning your commute.
- Bicycle Commuter Benefit of tax-free reimbursement of up to $20 per month (up to $240 per year) for costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage;
- An Emergency ride home program if you take public transportation, carpool, walk or bike and need a ride home in the event of a personal or family emergency.
- Not sure what is the best way to get to work? Fill out the commute assistance form for a personalized commuting plan.
- Find a carpool partner and save 50-75% off your annual parking pass.
Annual parking permits are sold by Parking Services for the Cambridge and Allston campuses. You can apply for parking once you have your Harvard ID.
Applications for annual permits or one-day and off-hours permits may be made online or at the office of Parking Services. Parking is limited, so there may be a waiting list for some lots and garages. There is preferred parking available for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles.
Parking is especially limited in the Longwood Medical Campus (LMC). One-day or off-hours permits may also be available. For LMC commuting services, subsidies and advice, Harvard partners with MASCO (617-632-2800). Along with LMA shuttles that run between the LMC and Cambridge, MASCO offers CommuteWorks to help you find your best commute.