Local Postdoctoral Affairs Offices
Depending on your school, there are several offices to help you navigate your experience as a postdoctoral fellow on topics such as grants, training and professional development.
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences Office of Postdoctoral Affairs: Serving postdoctoral scholars in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and all Harvard-affiliated schools, centers, and institutes in Cambridge.
- HMS/HSDM Office for Postdoctoral Affairs: Postdoctoral fellows at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
- Harvard Chan School Office of Faculty Affairs: Postdoctoral fellows and research associates at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
Harvard offers a competitive and flexible package of medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, disability insurance, and other benefits, with monthly health premiums based on salary tier. The Benefits Summary for Postdoctoral Fellows provides a full overview. The following online videos will help you learn more about your benefits:
- Benefits Enrollment Videos for Postdoctoral Fellows
- Benefits Enrollment Videos for Stipendee Postdocs
The following Harvard resources may provide assistance with housing needs.
- The Harvard Housing Office lists Harvard-owned housing and other local housing.
- Harvard offers many housing and mortgage resources to help with other housing needs, from finding a roommate to securing the mortgage on your own home.
- Harvard University Employees Credit Union (HUECU) offers start-to-finish guidance in the home-buying process along with a full range of banking and credit services through a nonprofit, membership organization.
Services for you and your family
Harvard provides services and resources to help you with family challenges like:
- Finding and paying for child care
- Reviewing schooling options
- Parenting concerns
- Locating elder care
- Other family issues
Harvard’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available anytime for help with family matters, mental health, legal questions, financial problems, and other issues. Employees and members of their immediate family/household can use the EAP.
Help with problems at work
Most workplace issues can be resolved by working with your Program Manager and/or your local postdoctoral office. But some issues require more problem-solving. A directory of problem-solvers, including the Harvard University Anonymous Reporting Hotline and the University Ombudsman Office, is available at Solving Workplace Problems.
Cultural and entertainment perks
Your Harvard ID is your ticket to culture, both at Harvard and in the Cambridge/Boston area. Your ID gives you access to:
- World-class Harvard libraries
- Museums on campus as well as the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and Institute of Contemporary Art
- Athletic facilities and recreational opportunities
- Free admission or significant discounts at recreational and cultural activities in the Cambridge/Boston area.
- Discounted movie, museum, skiing passes as well as tickets to theatre, music and sporting events through Harvard's Outings & Innings program.
Dine, meet, or entertain at the Harvard Faculty Club.
Trouble with your ID? Contact the Harvard ID Office.