Service and Trade Union

I would like to...

The 2020-2021 cycle will open online in PeopleSoft Wednesday April 15 - Wednesday May 13, 2020.

Basic Program Information

The Office of Work/Life offers limited scholarship funds to eligible Harvard employees to help defray the cost of child care. Funds are awarded based on financial need through an annual application process.

  • Only employees who are on a regular Harvard payroll and fully benefits-eligible may apply. If you have a question about your status, please contact your HR representative or program administrator.
  • Awards are based on household income. Employees are required to submit tax and salary documentation.
  • Application deadlines are generally once per year, and are communicated to all employees. If you have questions about upcoming application dates, please email
  • The scholarship program works on a reimbursement basis. Employees pay for their child care and then submit cost information to the program.
  • Scholarships are awarded and disbursed on a fiscal-year basis (July 1 to June 30).
  • Awards vary from family to family and year to year. Awards may range from several hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on financial need and a range of other factors. Families should not make ongoing child care decisions based on past awards or the potential for a scholarship. We encourage families to think of child care scholarships as helping to defray costs that they would be prepared to pay regardless of an award.

Members of service and trade unions must belong to one of the following:

  • HEREIU (Harvard University and Hotel Employees, Restaurant Employees, International Union), Local 26
  • HUPA (Harvard University Police Association)
  • HUSPMGU (Harvard University Security, Parking and Museum Guards Union)
  • IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers), Local Union 103, AFL-CIO
  • IUOE (International Union of Operating Engineers), Local 877, AFL-CIO
  • NERCC (New England Regional Council of Carpenters), Local 51
  • Plumbers and Gasfitters, Local Union No. 12, AFL-CIO
  • SEIU (Service Employees International Union), Local 615

You must meet the following work requirements:

  • Work in a benefits-eligible position at least 16 hours per week at Harvard, and
  • Be paid by the President and Fellows of Harvard College on a regular Harvard payroll

If you are in a partnered household, your spouse/domestic partner must be:

  • Employed at least 15 hours per week, or
  • A full-time or part-time student (at least 15 hours per week), or
  • Disabled, or providing care for a disabled person (at least 15 hours per week)

Your child(ren) must:

  • Be your legal dependent(s) as verified by your tax return
  • Be dependent on you for child care costs (please note, unborn and newborn children are exempt from the tax dependency verification requirement)
  • Have been born on or after Sept. 1, 2007 (they are not yet 13)
  • Receive care from one or more of the following:
    • A licensed child care center
    • A licensed family child care provider
    • A licensed after school program
    • A daytime summer camp program
    • An in-home provider with a Social Security or Tax I.D. number.


  • Applications are online-only in PeopleSoft - login with your HarvardKey in order to access the "Service & Trade Unions' Child Care Scholarship Application."
  • The 2020 application will open Wednesday April 15 and close Wednesday May 13, 2020.
  • Before the application deadline, you must:
    • Print a document cover sheet.
    • Send completed, signed copies of the first two pages of your federal tax return from last calendar year, for example: Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040NREZ, etc. If you have a spouse or partner, you will need to include their pay stub or student documentation.
    • Documents must be postmarked by the application deadline.
    • Submit all documents in one packet with the cover sheet to:

Child Care Scholarships - Office of Work/Life
114 Mount Auburn Street, 4th Floor 
Cambridge, MA 02138

  • If you need help or have a question, please email or call 617-495-4100, or ask your local HR representative.
  • Work/Life staff will be able to view your application online, so please ask for help if needed.

Submit receipts and claim my award

If you have applied and been granted an award, you need to submit your costs to be reimbursed.

  • Pay for your child care as usual.
  • Print the Provider Signature Form (make as many copies as you need).
  • Have each child care provider fill out their section of the form.
  • You fill out the employee section in full on each form.
  • If you have a contract with your center/provider and you pay the same fee each period for the whole year, just circle all months and have the provider form signed once.
  • Referring to your Provider Signature Forms, enter your total costs in the online claim form found in PeopleSoft (you will need to log in using your Harvard Key).

Please keep Provider Signature Forms for your records. We reserve the right to request them if we need clarification, otherwise, please do not send them.