Legal Requirements

In addition to the specific requirements posted for each position, the following are legal requirements for University employment:

A. Laws Regarding Minors

Employees must be at least 16 years of age. Exceptions to the age minimum may be possible, subject to compliance with state and federal regulations.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires all employees under the age of 18 to secure and present an educational certificate. This may be obtained from the office of the superintendent of schools in the community in which the individual resides.

Applicable state and federal laws provide that employees under 18 years of age may not:

  • Work more than 48 hours in one workweek
  • Work more than 9 hours per day
  • Work before 6 a.m. or after 10 p.m.
  • Receive less than 30 minutes for a meal period
  • Work more than six days out of seven
  • Work in hazardous occupations, including but not limited to work involving exposure to radioactive materials or oiling or cleaning hazardous machinery in motion

B. Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)

The Federal Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all employers to verify the identity and eligibility to legally work in the United States of every person hired after November 6, 1986. By law, a new employee must complete Section 1 of the Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) no later than the close of business on his/her first day of work. The employer must complete Section 2 of the I-9 form within three business days of the date employment begins.

Employees who are unable to secure documentation should contact their human resources office. The University recommends that this data be collected prior to the employee’s start date in order to allow timely receipt of required documentation needed to initiate time reporting.

C. Social Security

New employees must present a Social Security number at the time of hire or immediately thereafter. If the employee does not have a Social Security number, he or she may obtain one at the district office of the Social Security Administration servicing the city or town in which they reside. For information call 1-800-772-1213.

Last updated: 12/06/2007