Summer Youth Employment Program

What is the cost of hosting an SYEP intern in my department?

All departments are responsible for paying their student during the summer. The SYEP team does not have a set hourly wage that interns must be paid, however, at a minimum, students will be paid minimum wage. The team highly encourages managers and departments to pay even $1-$2 more per hour, if possible, as it makes a large difference to the student interns. In total, for the entire 6-week program for a full-time internship opportunity (35-40 hours), the...

Read more about What is the cost of hosting an SYEP intern in my department?

How do I hire/onboard my intern?

All student interns will need to complete to come on campus to fill out an I-9 with their local HR office at least 2 weeks prior to their start date. This will ensure all onboarding is completed by the start of their orientation. Once complete, it should be sent to Central Payroll. The student can then be hired as a temporary HS student worker in PeopleSoft (job code 700035). At that point, an HUID is generated. Students will then be paid weekly as temps. Their paychecks may be mailed to their home address, work address, or they can set up direct deposit in PeopleSoft.... Read more about How do I hire/onboard my intern?

What is the selection criteria for the program?

  • Student workers are selected through one of Harvard’s community-based partnerships (Boston Private Industry Council, City of Cambridge)
  • Students must be a minimum of 16 years of age (the student must meet this age requirement by July 1)
  • Students must be able to commit to a work schedule (i.e. up to 40 hours/5 days a week)
  • Students must have appropriate waivers (working authorization and health screening approvals) prior to working for Harvard.
  • Hiring managers must be authorized by their local department at Harvard to...
Read more about What is the selection criteria for the program?

Does my student need a Harvard ID card?

For the most part, it is highly recommend that students get an Harvard ID card while working on campus. It will provide they are working for the university, but also may be needed for security access to the workplace. If all onboarding paperwork is received in a timely fashion, the student will be able to receive their Harvard ID card during the orientation time period (as long as they bring in the proper identification). Otherwise, the ID can be picked up directly by the student and manager once onboarding paperwork is complete and processed.


Read more about Does my student need a Harvard ID card?

How do we keep track of a student worker's hours?

Your student should enter hours each week in PeopleSoft for your review and approval. You should make it clear to your student to only work hours that you have approved in advance. It is important that hours are entered and approved weekly to ensure that the student worker is paid on time.

Who does the hiring paperwork for my student?

Managers should coordinate with their local HR to make sure all required hiring paperwork is completed before the student's first day of work. This will ensure that all legal documents are received and processed.

Does my student need a work permit?

Yes. If your student is under age 18, he/she must bring a work permit from the school system authorizing him/her to work. Even students who have graduated from high school who are under age 18 will need to supply the work permit. The work permit should be submitted and maintained with all other hiring paperwork.