Harvard’s campuses are conveniently located and served by extensive public transportation. The University is proud that its financial support for a variety of transportation and commuting options helps keep our driving rate significantly below national and state averages.
Explore your commuting options and receive significant transit discounts and benefits through Harvard CommuterChoice.
For Harvard Longwood Campus commuters, Harvard partners with MASCO (617-632-2800) to bring you additional services through the CommuteWorks program, along with LMA shuttles to Cambridge and to major transit stations.
Half-priced MBTA passes and pre-tax transit passes
- Harvard offers a 50 percent subsidy on monthly bus, subway, commuter rail and commuter boat passes for benefits-eligible employees. Visit Harvard CommuterChoice online for more information.
- You may also sign up for pretax savings on private transit passes and parking expenses related to commuting by MBTA or other public transit, up to the IRS pretax limit of $260 per month (beginning January 2018). Contact Harvard CommuterChoice for more information.
CommuterChoice discounts and programs
Harvard CommuterChoice also offers a range of commute planning tools and transportation options.
- Bicycle Commuter Benefit: Reimbursement of up to $20 per month (up to $240 per year) for costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage.
- Carpool: Carpool to work with a colleague four or five days a week and save from 50–75% on an annual parking permit.
- Emergency Ride Home: If you take public transit, carpool, vanpool, walk or bike to work at least twice a week, you can be reimbursed for up to four trips home a year in the event of a personal or family emergency.
Zimride: Network to find others with similar commutes or one-time travel needs.
- Blue Bikes (previously Hubway): Join Metro-Boston's regional bike-share program. Discounted membership and other benefits through Harvard.
- Zipcar: 24/7 access to cars, vans and trucks for convenient short-term rentals. Membership for Harvard employees is $15/year.
- Personalized Commuting Assistance: If you have questions about your commute at any point during your time at Harvard (even before your first day!), CommuterChoice can help you decide on the best option for your needs.
- $10 bike helmets for sale (cash or check) at the Campus Service Center (Smith Center, 8th floor).
- Visit the CommuterChoice website and sign up for event notifications.
Harvard shuttle services
Shuttles provide safe and reliable transportation throughout the Cambridge and Allston campuses as well as LMA shuttles, which run between Cambridge and the Harvard Longwood Campus. Shuttles are accessible for all riders with a Harvard ID. Track the shuttles in real time on the Shuttles website and the Transloc Rider app.
Annual parking permits are sold by Parking Services for the Cambridge and Allston campuses. Applications for annual permits or one-day and off-hours permits may be made online or at the Campus Service Center. Parking is limited, so there may be a waiting list for some facilities. Preferred parking is available for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles.
Parking is especially limited in the Harvard Longwood Campus (HLC). For HLC parking passes and information, visit the Harvard Longwood Parking and Commuter Services website.
Auto insurance discounts
Eligible employees who live in Massachusetts can receive a discount of 8-11% on auto insurance with MetLife or Liberty Mutual Insurance (and a 10% discount on a homeowner’s policy if you insure both auto and home). Paying your premiums through payroll deduction eliminates interest charges and service fees. To request a free, no-obligation quote or more information, visit the voluntary benefits site or call 866-228-3516.