BOOST HAPPINESS. ENHANCE WELLBEING.
We all want to be happy. But in the midst of busy schedules, financial challenges, and other daily stressors, true happiness can seem elusive. While there’s no one-size-fits-all solution, decades of research have shown that certain actions and behaviors—from spending time in nature to practicing mindfulness—can lead to greater happiness and wellbeing. Ready to get started? Try these practical Harvard resources
Things to do:
- Attend 10% Happier (HarvardKey required) on April 2, 9, and 23, combining live sessions from Harvard Pilgrim Health Care with a best-in-class app, hosted by Dan Harris of ABC news.
- Become more present in the moment. Sign up for our Mindfulness Retreat (HarvardKey required) on April 24.
- Check out a variety of Mindfulness Programs from the Office of Work/Life.
Things to read:
- Learn more about the definition of wellbeing—and how it’s measured—with this Center for Health and Happiness article.
- Gain strategies for increasing happiness from Harvard Medicine’s “The Contagion of Happiness.”
- Explore the ongoing Harvard Study of Adult Development—one of the world’s longest studies of adult health and happiness, now in it’s 80th year.
Things to watch:
- Discover how to create a “good life” with this TED Talk by Dr. Robert Waldinger, HMS professor of psychiatry and director of the Harvard Study of Adult Development.
- Develop your wellbeing skills with this Harvard School of Public Health lecture by Dr. Richard J. Davidson, University of Wisconsin–Madison professor of psychology and psychiatry.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS.
FSA and reimbursement deadlines are approaching.
To get the most benefit from your benefits, it’s critical to stay on top of your spending and reimbursement deadlines. Now that 2019 is in full swing, be sure to mark these important dates on your calendar:
- March 15 is the spending deadline for your 2018 FSA. Have expenses you didn’t use your FSA debit card for? If so, file a reimbursement form with Benefit Strategies by April 1. Remember, unspent funds are forfeited.
- If you’re taking advantage of Harvard’s Copayment Reimbursement Program (union members) or Reimbursement Program (faculty and nonunion staff), submit 2018 claim forms and receipts for eligible, in-network costs to Benefit Strategies by April 1.
- Have you received your fitness or weight-loss reimbursement? If you have coverage through Harvard Pilgrim Health Care or HUGHP, you can apply for reimbursement of up to $150 in costs for membership at gyms, fitness facilities, or qualified weight-loss programs annually. Be sure to submit your reimbursement form by March 31.
- If you bike to work, be sure to submit eligible purchase, repair, improvement, or storage expenses through the Bike Commuter Benefit by March 31.
Mind & Body
Small steps can make a big difference in your mental and physical wellbeing. Get started with these resources.
- Take care of your smile at Harvard Dental Center’s Faculty Group Practice—or the Teaching Practice, where dental students deliver care at reduced rates.
- Harvard on the Move offers group runs and walks every Tuesday and Wednesday. Join this active community—receive regular reminders by getting on the mailing list.
- Sign up for a walking tour, winter wellness walk, or bird walk at Arnold Arboretum in Jamaica Plain.
Learning & Growing
Wherever you are in your career, you can acquire the skills you need to get to the next level with these management and coaching resources.
- Learn how HMS Executive Director Mary Lou Townsend used CWD’s Focused Leadership executive coaching program to bring her team together.
- Calling all managers—have you completed Universal Manager Training (HarvardKey required)? If so, consider enrolling in Becoming a Coaching Manager (HarvardKey required) to build additional skills.
- No matter your role, our performance management tools and resources can help you thrive on—and off—the job.
Living & Working
Pursue your interests and enhance your wellbeing—at any time and in any place—through a wide variety of exciting webinars.
- Are you a family caregiver? Join our webinar on May 7 to learn about senior living arrangements, in-home services, care options resources, and more.
- Enhance your mindfulness from home, your office, or anywhere in between by registering for our Intro to Mindfulness (HarvardKey required) webinar on April 11.
- A growth mindset is the belief that we can become smarter with hard work and practice. Register for our webinar on March 21 to discover the benefits of this mindset—and how to develop it.
Finances & Security
Simplify your finances with a little help from these Harvard resources.
- Tax season is here. Take advantage of discounts on H&R Block in-office and online tax preparation services through Outings & Innings (HarvardKey required); navigate to All Anyday for details.
- Get ready for retirement by registering for Retirewise, a free, comprehensive planning workshop, presented by MetLife on March 21 and 28 on the Longwood Campus (open to all).
- Consolidate your retirement savings by rolling over pretax retirement assets into your Harvard TDA. Contact the Harvard University Retirement Center (800-527-1398) to learn more.