Managing Contingent Work at Harvard
Beginning in April of 2018, Harvard is undertaking three big changes to better manage its contingent -- or temporary -- workforce.
- We are adopting a new business model for procurement of contingent labor -- specifically, temps from staffing agencies and Harvard-identified resources who are externally-payrolled, typically because they live and work out-of-state.
- We have entered into a new business partnership with a vendor-neutral managed service provider (MSP), Yoh, that will rationalize and then optimize the supply base over time.
- We have implemented a new vendor management system (or VMS), Fieldglass. The system will be used by Harvard Managers, the MSP, suppliers, and contingent workers. It will allow us to automate the new process from "req to check" and provide unprecedented visbility into the details of Harvard's spend.
This new model relies upon the participation and cooperation of all hiring managers. We recognize that this change entails effort to adopt new practices and technology, and a change in supplier relationships in some cases. We ask for your cooperation, participation and patience during stabilization.
Phase I Schools and Departments
Hourly-paid contingent resources will be requisitioned exclusively from enrolled staffing agencies beginning April 30 in the following schools and departments.
- Harvard Business School (HBS) -- Denis Collet, Local Implementation Manager (LIM)
- Harvard Medical School (HMS) -- Jose Martinez, LIM
- Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) -- Heidi Shea, LIM (Visit the SEAS web site for more information about how the Program will work there.)
- Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) -- Karen Pemstein, LIM
The program will include "net new" business, defined as:
- new requisitions for hourly-billed agency temps and Harvard-identified payrolled workers;
- contract renewals and extensions with enrolled suppliers.
For all support, questions and issues, please email the onsite Yoh Program Management Office (PMO) or call 617-495-1508. They are located at 124 Mt. Auburn Street, Cambridge and are available during regular business hours.
If you need additional assistance, you may contact the Harvard Human Resources Managed Services Program manager.
For questions about implementing this model within your school or department, please refer to the web page for Implementing Harvard Tubs.