Managing Contingent Work at Harvard
Since April 2018, Harvard made significant changes to better manage its contingent -- or temporary -- workforce.
- We adopted a new business model for hiring and paying contingent labor -- specifically, temps from staffing agencies and Harvard-identified resources who are externally-payrolled, typically because they live and work out-of-state.
- We entered into a new business partnership with a vendor-neutral managed service provider (MSP), Yoh. Yoh will rationalize and then optimize the supply base over time.
- We implemented a new vendor management system (or VMS), Fieldglass. The system is being used by Harvard Managers, the MSP, suppliers, and contingent workers. It is allowing us to automate the new process from "req to check" and provide complete visbility into the details of Harvard's spend.
We recognize that, for Harvard managers, this will entail adopting new practices and technology. We appreciate your effort and cooperation.
Enrolled Schools and Departments
In these enrolled Harvard schools and departments, hourly-paid contingent resources should be obtained exclusively from enrolled staffing agencies via the MSP. Please contact the local implementation manager (LIM) with questions about how the MSP works in your area.
- Harvard Business School (HBS) -- Denis Collet, Local Implementation Manager (LIM)
- Harvard Medical School (HMS) -- Jose Martinez, LIM
- Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) -- Heidi Shea, LIM (Visit the SEAS web site for more information about how the Program will work there.)
- Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) -- Karen Pemstein, LIM
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine -- Mary Anderson, LIM
- Harvard Chan School of Public Health -- Linda Picard, LIM
- Central Administration (CoA "tubs" 610, 625 and 630) and Memorial Church -- Patty Bruce, LIM
- Campus Services -- CoA "tubs" 180, 155, 150, 580, 130, 620 -- Kerry Beirne and Susan Simon, LIMs
- FAS Athletics -- Cheryl Alexis, LIM
- Harvard Graduate School of Education -- Jag Ramdas, LIM
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Studies -- Chuck Curti, LIM
- Harvard Divinity School -- Anna Anctil, LIM
- FAS Division of Continuing Education -- Marc Willis, LIM
- Wyss Institute -- Margaret Ivins, LIM
- Harvard University Health Services -- Gaiel Thompson, LIM
The MSP should be used for:
- new requisitions for hourly-billed agency temps and Harvard-identified payrolled workers;
- contract renewals and extensions with enrolled suppliers.
To learn more about the project, please consult this one-page Summary.
For all support, questions and issues, please email the onsite Yoh Program Management Office (PMO) or call 617-495-1508. They are located at 124 Mt. Auburn Street, Cambridge and are available during regular business hours.
For questions about implementing this model within your school or department, please see this web page for Implementing Harvard Tubs.