2021 Summer Youth Employment Program Update
Given the continuation of the COVID-19 pandemic, the traditional SYEP will not be held during the 2021 Summer. However, the Harvard Ed Portal will be hosting a Virtual Summer Youth Employment Program this summer for local high school students! Here are the program details:
- Schedule: July 12 - August 6
Hours: 25 hours per week
- 20 hours with the Harvard deparment Monday-Thursday
- 5 hours with the Harvard Ed Portal on Friday
- Cost: $1,400 per student (there is some financial support available for departments that may need it)
- Preparation: The Harvard Ed Portal will provide orientation, mentoring, and cohort projects for the interns
Dept. Commitment: Participating departments will provide a staff manager and relevant project work. Some examples of projects that might work well virtually:
- Data management
- Website updates
- Research projects
- Video/social media content creation
- Moderating Zoom programs/webinars
If you are interested, please sign up here by April 30!
Summer Youth Employment Program
The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) provides valuable work experiences to high school youth from Boston and Cambridge, while contributing to Harvard’s summer staffing needs. Building on Harvard’s longstanding tradition of partnering with Boston and Cambridge to hire local teens, SYEP offers a unique six-week experience for hiring managers and students alike. SYEP is designed to assist local youth with developing positive work habits, professional experience, as well as gaining motivation to further their education and pursue career options. By providing both practical work experience and developmental opportunities, the program aims to enable participants to contribute to Harvard’s workforce needs while developing important skills. Please note that this program is currently only available for high school students from the City of Boston and Cambridge public schools.
Participating departments fund the hiring of a student; the cost of a hiring a teen full-time for the whole summerterm is approximately $3,000+. The hours and dates may be adjusted to fit your needs and budget. Full-time positions are encouraged through SYEP, but we can discuss the opportunity for potential Part-time positions. You may also view a few sample job descriptions (under Related Links at right) to assist you in completing your job posting form.
As part of the program, support is provided from Harvard HR in the following areas:
- Optional Student Training Sessions across various areas, including customer service, systems, Microsoft Office, and more.
- Partner with community partners and hiring managers to identify successful placements
- Provide Lunch & Learn opportunities to learn about Harvard as an employer
- Provide Hiring Manager Orientation to new and returning managers
- Host Student Welcome Breakfast
- Host Student Development Workshops
- Serve as a Harvard liaison to support the success of each placement
- Create a safe and meaningful summer
- Host Student Farewell Reception
Employing teens from Boston and Cambridge through SYEP helps build Harvard's reputation both as an “Employer of Choice” and as a good neighbor. We are greatly excited to welcome this year's class.
For more information about this program, please contact Kaycee Alexander. Students should contact their Guidance Counselor or Career Specialist to learn more about employment opportunities at Harvard.