The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) provides valuable work experiences to high school youth from Boston and Cambridge, while contributing to Harvard’s summer staffing needs. Building on Harvard’s longstanding tradition of partnering with Boston and Cambridge to hire local teens, SYEP offers a unique six-week experience for hiring managers and students alike. SYEP is designed to assist local youth with developing positive work habits, professional experience, as well as gaining motivation to further their education and pursue career options. By providing both practical work experience and developmental opportunities, the program aims to enable participants to contribute to Harvard’s workforce needs while developing important skills. Please note that this program is currently only available for high school students from the City of Boston and Cambridge.
Participating departments fund the hiring of a student; the cost of a hiring a teen full-time for the whole summer term is less than $2,500. The hours and dates may be adjusted to fit your needs and budget. Part-time positions are also accepted through SYEP. You may also view a few sample job descriptions (under Related Links at right) to assist you in completing your job posting form.
As part of the program, support is provided from Harvard HR in the following areas:
- Optional Student Training Sessions in office and customer service, basic Word, Excel and Outlook will be offered to students to prepare them for their summer jobs “new”.
- Partner with community partners and hiring managers to identify successful placements
- Provide Lunch & Learn opportunities to learn about Harvard as an employer
- Provide Manager Orientation to new and returning managers
- Host Student Welcome Breakfast
- Host Student Development Workshops
- Serve as a Harvard liaison to support the success of each placement
- Create a safe and meaningful summer
Employing teens from Boston and Cambridge through SYEP helps build Harvard's reputation both as an “Employer of Choice” and as a good neighbor. We are greatly excited to welcome this year's class.