2020 Summer Youth Employment Program Information:
- Requesting an Intern: please submit a request for an intern via the SYEP Qualtrics Survey
- Lunch & Learn PowerPoint Presentation
The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) provides valuable work experiences to high school youth from Boston and Cambridge, while contributing to Harvard’s summer staffing needs. Building on Harvard’s longstanding tradition of partnering with Boston and Cambridge to hire local teens, SYEP offers a unique six-week experience for hiring managers and students alike. SYEP is designed to assist local youth with developing positive work habits, professional experience, as well as gaining motivation to further their education and pursue career options. By providing both practical work experience and developmental opportunities, the program aims to enable participants to contribute to Harvard’s workforce needs while developing important skills. Please note that this program is currently only available for high school students from the City of Boston and Cambridge public schools.
Participating departments fund the hiring of a student; the cost of a hiring a teen full-time for the whole summer term is approximately $3,000+. The hours and dates may be adjusted to fit your needs and budget. Full-time positions are encouraged through SYEP, but we can discuss the opportunity for potential Part-time positions. You may also view a few sample job descriptions (under Related Links at right) to assist you in completing your job posting form.
As part of the program, support is provided from Harvard HR in the following areas:
- Optional Student Training Sessions across various areas, including customer service, systems, Microsoft Office, and more.
- Partner with community partners and hiring managers to identify successful placements
- Provide Lunch & Learn opportunities to learn about Harvard as an employer
- Provide Hiring Manager Orientation to new and returning managers
- Host Student Welcome Breakfast
- Host Student Development Workshops
- Serve as a Harvard liaison to support the success of each placement
- Create a safe and meaningful summer
- Host Student Farewell Reception
Employing teens from Boston and Cambridge through SYEP helps build Harvard's reputation both as an “Employer of Choice” and as a good neighbor. We are greatly excited to welcome this year's class.
For more information about this program, please contact Kaycee Alexander. Students should contact their Guidance Counselor or Career Specialist to learn more about employment opportunities at Harvard.
- To get a peek at some past SYEP summers, check out photos here.