The Senior Care Planning Program
This service helps faculty and staff navigate the ever-changing demands of caring for an aging family member or other adult by connecting you with a professional senior care advisor (a licensed geriatric social worker who is an expert in adult and elder care). The program also provides referrals and access to vetted services around the country. Services are free of charge and include:
- In-depth individual and family consultation: Professional guidance, planning, and ongoing support for the faculty or staff member and their family;
- Customized action plans: Clear and actionable steps for caregivers and their families;
- Facilitated family meetings: Siblings and other family members can clarify roles and plan together; and
- Access to national networks: Referrals to vetted providers across the U.S., including geriatric care managers, elder law attorneys, at-home care services, back-up care, senior housing, adult day programs, transportation, and Alzheimer’s and dementia care. Senior Care Planning staff will also negotiate on behalf of clients for preferred rates.
Note: Register before you need it! To use any service provided by Care@Work, Harvard faculty and staff must complete and return a waiver. Once the Office of Work/Life receives this waiver, the employee's name is added to an automatic filed feed that goes to Care.com on a nightly basis. This process takes about a day. Once you are registered, you will be able to create an account that will allow you to contact Care.com.
"Senior Sense" Newsletters
As part of the Senior Care Planning program, we are pleased to connect you to "Senior Sense," a newsletter provided by Care.com. Recent topics:
- Moving a loved one into a Nursing Home: Tips for a Smooth Transition
- 7 Lessons Learned After Mom Fell
- Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst
- Navigating the Caregiving Frontier: 6 Steps to Accepting Your New Normal
- Mindfulness Benefits
- Choosing an Elder Law Attorney
- Caregiving from a Distance" Learning to Make the Best of It
Read more "Senior Sense" columns and elder care advice here.
Senior Care Seminars
As part of this program, occasional on-site and on-line seminars are offered througout the year. Please check back for fall 2018 topics and dates.
August 7 (1-2pm EST): Caught in the Middle: How to Cope as a Sandwich Generation Caregiver
Register for this webinar here.
Are you juggling the care of your parents and kids while trying to focus on your job too? If so, you are probably in the caregiving sandwich and you’re not alone. Nearly half of adults ages 40-59 are caring for both an aging parent and child and most are also in the workforce. Is there a way for sandwich generation caregivers, whether you are a daughter, son, spouse or partner, to manage it all without feeling guilty and depleted? The answer is yes, but you’ll need some support, both at home and at work. If you are caught in the middle, don’t miss this lively and dynamic webinar in which you will learn important caregiving strategies and find ways to take care of yourself too.