Harvard’s campuses are conveniently located and served by extensive public transportation. The University is proud that its financial support for a variety of transportation and commuting options helps keep our driving rate significantly below national and state averages.
You can explore your commuting options and receive significant transit discounts and benefits through Harvard CommuterChoice.
For Harvard Longwood Campus commuting services, Harvard partners with MASCO (617-632-2800). Along with LMA shuttles to Cambridge and to major transit stations, MASCO offers CommuteWorks to help Longwood-based employees find their best commute.
Half-priced MBTA passes and pre-tax transit passes
- Harvard offers a 50 percent subsidy on monthly bus, subway, commuter rail and commuter boat passes for benefits-eligible employees. Sign-up online once for recurring automatic payments directly from your pay, and your pass will be mailed to you each month. Contact Harvard CommuterChoice for more information.
- You may also sign up for pretax savings on private transit passes and parking expenses related to commuting by MBTA or other public transit, up to the IRS pretax limit of $255 per month (beginning February 2016). Contact Harvard CommuterChoice for more information.
CommuterChoice discounts and programs
Harvard CommuterChoice also offers a range of commute planning tools and transportation options.
- Zipcar: 24/7 access to cars, vans and trucks for convenient short-term rentals. Membership for Harvard employees is $25/year and includes $25 in driving credit.
- Bicycle Commuter Benefit: Tax-free reimbursement of up to $20 per month (up to $240 per year) for costs associated with bicycle purchase, improvement, repair and storage.
- Carpool: Carpool to work with a colleague four or five days a week and save from 50–75% on an annual parking permit.
- Emergency Ride Home: If you take public transit, carpool, vanpool, walk or bike to work at least twice a week, you can be reimbursed for up to four trips home a year by taxi or rental car in the event of a personal or family emergency.
- Zimride: Network to find others with similar commutes or one-time travel needs.
- Hubway is Metro-Boston's regional bike-share program. 40% discount on membership through Harvard.
Harvard shuttle services
Shuttles provide safe and reliable transportation throughout the Cambridge and Allston campuses as well as LMA shuttles, which run between Cambridge and the Harvard Longwood Campus. Shuttles are accessible for all riders with a Harvard ID. Spend less time waiting by tracking real-time locations provided by the Transloc Rider app.
Annual parking permits are sold by Parking Services for the Cambridge and Allston campuses. Applications for annual permits or one-day and off-hours permits may be made online or at the Campus Service Center. Parking is limited, so there may be a waiting list for some facilities. Preferred parking is available for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles.
Parking is especially limited in the Harvard Longwood Campus. One-day or off-hours permits may also be available. For HLC parking passes and information, visit MASCO’s Employee Parking page.
Auto insurance discounts
Eligible employees who live in Massachusetts can receive a discount of 8-11% on auto insurance with MetLife or Liberty Mutual Insurance (and a 10% discount on a homeowner’s policy if you insure both auto and home). Paying your premiums through payroll deduction eliminates interest charges and service fees. To request a free, no-obligation quote or more information, visit the voluntary benefits site or call 866-228-3516.