As a Harvard employee, you have many child care options from which to choose. You are encouraged to review the options below to see which one may best meet your needs.
On-Campus Child Care
Six nonprofit, independent child care centers are located on our campuses – five on the Cambridge campus and one in Allston near Harvard Business School. Each center is independent, and makes its own decisions regarding enrollment and curriculum.
If you are interested in a place at one of these centers, you should visit those that interest you and apply as early as possible as places are limited. Generally, contracts run from September through July in the child care centers, although mid-year slots open occasionally.
To learn more about the on-campus child care centers:
- Review the contact information and rates, along with information about covered age groups, hours and more
- View the centers on a map
- Read our FAQs
Off-Campus Group Child Care
High-quality, affordable child care is in high demand in the greater Boston area. The following resources are designed to make your search a little easier.
- If you are a benefits-eligible Harvard employee, you may use the free dependent-care resource and referral service available through Harvard’s Employee Assistance Program.
- To get a list of licensed family day care providers and group child care centers in your community, visit the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care.
- Several nonprofit agencies are members of the Massachusetts Child Care Resource and Referral Network and can help you find child care:
- Child Care Choices of Boston serves Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea, Somerville, Revere, and Winthrop.
- Child Care Circuit serves several towns near Harvard’s campuses including Arlington, Belmont, Medford, Newton, and Watertown, as well as many others.
- Community Care for Kids serves Braintree, Cohasset, Dedham, Hull, Milton, Needham, Quincy, Randolph, Wellesley, Weston, and Weymouth.
In-home Child Care/Babysitters
- WATCH (Web Access to Care at Harvard): This portal connects you with Harvard students who want to babysit. Harvard faculty, staff, and students can also sponsor their high school and college-age children as babysitters. Your HUID and PIN are required for login.
- Care@Work Digital Access: If you are a benefits-eligible Harvard employee, you have unlimited digital access to Care.com, a database of caregivers, including profiles, references, and background-check options. Visit Harvard’s Care@Work portal to register once using your Harvard email address. Please note that for any ise of in-home back-up or child or elder care,an additional registration and waiver is required.
Nanny Placement Services
For parents who would like the assistance of an agency-supported search and are seeking in-home care, Harvard has a preferred vendor agreement with the American Nanny Company to provide nanny-placement services for faculty and staff. American Nanny Company will interview your family to help craft a job description, conduct detailed searches, perform background checks and interviews, and provide families with applicant files until a match is made. For Harvard affiliates, American Nanny will:
- Discount the $100 application fee to $50; if you hire a nanny through American Nanny, the $50 fee will be applied toward your placement fee.
- Provide full-time nanny placement at the discounted free of $2,900 and part-time placement at the discounted fee of $2,600.
- Provide a la carte services for a candidate you identify yourself at a 15% discount, including services like criminal and DMV background checks, full interviews with detailed employment and education history, reference checks and verification services, and more.
Learn more by visiting American Nanny Company or calling 617-244-5154.